Sunday, April 10, 2011

Partner, Let Me Upgrade U!

This weekend I followed through with a major upgrade I have been planning for the shanty. It involved turning the out-swinging, water-loving door into an in-swinging, water-deflecting door. This included the installation of a doorknob, new hinges, new brackets (as I used 2x4s as the structure of my door), a threshold, a door sweep and new doorstops.

Observe the final product below:






I learned a ton from this experience, but most importantly is the sensation that I accomplished this on my own. I think doors are probably pretty easy to install, when you buy them pre-made, or at least have a door of a standard size. Because my "custom" door is 27" wide by 72" tall, I had to use a hacksaw to cut the threshold and door sweep - I've never cut metal like that before!

The doorknob was a pain in the buttocks to do because I had some faulty equipment, and I think 2x4s are a little more finicky when receiving drill saw attachments. Also, the chiseling was tough in the 2x4s for the same reason. I had to do chiseling elsewhere on the project, and I would offer the chiseling I did for the door was not my best.

It's not exactly how I had imagined in, but I am super impressed that I did this all by myself. I think this never-ending shanty project is turning into a nice little architecture laboratory... Sort of like my case study for Arch History IV, Eva Jiricna. Jiricna used her apartment as a "laboratory" where she tested out new building products before specifying them for her projects. I'm not quite to that point, but it is in the back of my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment