Sunday, March 14, 2010

Taxes

I have two items to discuss here.

First, I wish I had realized that I could include such tax deductible items in my tax returns, and thus saved the receipts for them and/or applied them in the correct years:

1.) signing up for IDP (I think this was like $250??)
2.) printing resumes, portfolios, and any necessary documents for acquiring a job
I did realize, and have the documentation for, such job-related non-reimbursable expenses, such as my subscription to Architectural Record (I got a 3-yr subscription last year for the student rate of $83 - I know, it sounds like a ridiculous price for a monthly journal whose content is 85% advertisements, but trust me it was a good deal!).

Second, it has been rumored in my office that the governor of Pennsylvania will be issuing a sales tax to architectural services. That means that we will have to charge clients an extra 6%... this may deter clients, as bordering states like New Jersey do not have such a tax. I wonder, however, how the tax works exactly, because if the service is being performed in PA, shouldn't the NJ architects still have to pay it? Plus they'd have to be licensed in PA. That is how traditional sales taxes apply - though I am unfamiliar with service sales taxes. Anyone have any inside information? I may have to just google that and hope to stumble upon a clear concise explanation in laymen's terms.

Having done my taxes myself this year, I think I now know how to properly file my purchases and such things in order to have all the proper documentation for next year's taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment