Saturday, March 20, 2010

Archi-Title: "Interns" or "Architects-in-Training"?

First, the portmanteau "Archi-Title" is a playful jar at the tendency to synthesize the term "architecture" with others - hey, I am guilty, too!

Anyway, I recently stumbled upon a fossil of a blog post debating this title quandary.

Should the term "intern" refer to STUDENT interns? Should professional interns go by a more definitive title? Perhaps, "Architects in Training?" I think the general public does not understand the degrees of interns within the profession. Whenever I tell someone my position, they ask what is it that I DO. Well, I do pretty much the things an architect does, but for a fraction of the price (and responsibility). I'll save you the reiteration, just check out the post yourself and let me know what you think!

I think there needs to be some distinction between a freshman student intern and a 45-year-old with 20 years experience and who has completed 8 of his/her AREs.

No comments:

Post a Comment