Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Converting Continuing Education into IDP hours

So, I was very excited about getting my AIA number, I completed a whole slew of CE credits from my previous issues of Architectural Record. When you complete these tests online, McGraw-Hill presents you with a certificate. I thought this certificate was what I should submit to validate my IDP hours. Turns out I was wrong. After submitting them all over the past few days I received this comment in my NCARB Records:

3/23/2010 2:41:58 PM
NCARB Staff rejects supplementary experience with possibility for revision
NCARB Staff comments: To receive the supplementary education hours you must submit the official AIA transcript. You can submit the certificate to the University of Oklahoma, they evaluate courses for AIA. After Oklahoma approves the credits AIA will add the course to your transcript. This website contains some of the information. Additionally below I pasted the information that states where to send your certificates to. http://www.aia.org/professionals/groups/epn/AIAS075010#P34_14869 If you received a certificate with an AIA CES logo on it you can fax it to the AIA CES Records Department at 405-325-6965


After some scanning on the AIA's website, I also found this nugget:

How do I submit AIA Continuing Education work for IDP supplementary education credit?

Get an AIA number.
If you are an AIA member, use your AIA member number. If you are not an AIA member, see the instructions below.

Attend a sponsored event or complete a self-designed activity.
AIA components and AIA CES registered providers sponsor continuing education events. When you attend an event, follow the AIA registered architects lead by signing in with your name and AIA number. The event provider is responsible for submitting your information to the University of Oklahoma, which maintains CES records.

If the activity was performed on your own, such as completing the questions for a continuing education article from Architectural Record, then you are responsible for submitting a self-report form online to the University of Oklahoma with your AIA number.

Download your transcript.
You can download a copy of your transcript from the University of Oklahoma Web site at any time (or request a transcript in writing, one free each year).

Report your work on the e-EVR.
Report your work through the e-EVR in "My Supplementary Education" tab. The transcript documenting completion of AIA-approved resources must be uploaded to the e-EVR at that time.


As it turns out, completing those quick and easy CES quizzes in Arch Record was not as quick and easy as once thought. Perhaps this is a lesson in the extensive paperworking that the profession entails.

To continue the saga, I went to the CES website. I entered my new AIA number. And what would you know, they don't recognize it! Now what!? I guess I have to wait a while until I'm completely in the system?

Yeah this is mildly frustrating, as it is 2010 and I don't quite see how one server can be updated and another cannot. It's been almost a week since my account was created. I can understand it taking some time to process my account's creation, but I would think that once it's up, it's up.

I guess I'll keep trying to log into that CES system. If I can't get in by next week, maybe I make some calls.

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad i posted this because i went back to add more CEU's and totally forgot the protocol.

    ReplyDelete