Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tiptoe through the Tulips with Mies

So currently my house is somewhere between the minimalist De Stijl designs (empty and full of bright colors) and, how can I accurately put this, a garbage can (all my junk is piled into a corner). It has been said that if you want peace, you must prepare for war. Similarly, if I want to move out of this house, I must prepare to spend the rest of my life as a hoarder. 3. 3 copies of Zoolander. Who needs that many? No one, That's who.

But I digress.

In the process of boxing up the books, I was reminded of the good reads that have taken place during the 3 years I've lived here. So here - because you didn't ask for it - are my top ten favorite design books (today. right now.)

In the hope of not being too anecdotal I'm just going to put gifs down to sum up how I felt when I first read each of these books.

Why? Because it's the Internet.


#10) Phenomenology of Perception - Maurice Merleau-Ponty


#9) A Good Chair is A Good Chair - Donald Judd


#8) The Ice Palace that Melted Away - Bill Stumpf


#7) Architecture: Form, Space, Order - Francis D.K. Ching

  
#6) S,M,L,XL - Rem Koolhaas


#5) The Architecture of Happiness - Alain De Botton


#4) Philip Johnson: Life and Work - Franz Schulze


#3) History of the Future - Donna Goodman


#2) Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture - Robert Venturi


#1) 101 things you learn in Architecture School - Matthew Fredrick



Honorable Mention: Theorizing a New Agenda for Architecture: An Anthology of Architectural Theory 1965-1995 - Kate Nesbitt (technically a 'Best Of')

How about you guys? What were are your favorite design books?

Thanks to Whatshouldwecallme for the gifs.  





No comments:

Post a Comment