Saturday, May 26, 2012

ARE: Building Design & Construction Systems

I will preface this post by saying that I passed this exam on the first try.  (Holler!)  I think this is a good one to take late in the game because some of the material is borrowed from other exams' study guides.

Due to things cropping up last minute, I did not put in as much time as I should have or felt comfortable doing for this one.  I think the following book (which I bought freshman year in college and am finally putting to good use!) was quite helpful.  While I didn't get to read it cover-to-cover (more like read, skimmed, read, skimmed, read, skimmed...), I think that would be an excellent idea for test-takers:

Fundamentals of Building Construction by Edward Allen

I can recall a few questions that I knew the answers to only because I had read them the weekend before in that book!

Other than that, I believe the vignettes are pretty straight forward.  I only did the practice ones available through the NCARB software.

I didn't really read through the study guides for this exam, instead opting for FBC, which I found to be easier to read, more detailed and with better graphics.

I think I finished the vignettes with probably 30 minutes to spare so I just went back through each one and double, triple checked all of the requirements.  I think I found an omission/error in 2 of the 3 vignettes during this time, so I am glad that I spent the leftover time to review and didn't bail out like I did for Site Planning & Design (which did not score in my favor, thus, lesson learned!).

No comments:

Post a Comment