Saturday, January 7, 2012

More thoughts on the ARE's

You know, it occurred to me, since they have altered the ARE sections, there have been other changes that have been implemented concurrently.  They got rid of the separate history exam some time ago and instead "incorporated" the history questions into all sections of the exam.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that you pretty much need a bachelor of architecture to take the exam now, which implies that you have had several semesters of architectural history.  Whereas in the old days, you didn't even need a college degree much less a bachelors of architecture to take the exam!  How else could NCARB ensure you had some sort of architectural history education if not testing you about it themselves?  Therefore, I think they perhaps got rid of that exam because it was no longer necessary - kind of redundant - given that most if not all ARE candidates have had secondary schooling in architecture.

That was a thought that occurred to me today that I thought I should share.  I don't have any actual chronology that would connect the two (the time when a bachelors became a prereq for the ARE's and exactly when they got rid of the history exam), but I feel it is a sufficient enough correlation for this recreational conjecture!

No comments:

Post a Comment