Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fun Facts about the ARE's

Some new information about the ARE's has been brought to my attention lately.  My two sources are: 1.) the second-hand reports of some folks who attended an AIA chapter meeting where an NCARB representative presented information on the processes involved in establishing an NCARB records through taking the ARE's and receiving an NCARB certificate.  2.) my newly received Fall 2011 Volume 14 Issue 2 of NCARB's Direct Connection (I am just now realizing that this issue has arrived to me rather late, as it is no longer fall and certainly no longer 2011).

First of all, each ARE is graded through one single computer.  So, while it may seem a stream-lined process to have all the exams graded via computer, it is actually not as stream-lined as many other standardized testing systems.  The justification for this, is to maintain security as apparently many folks in the past have taken extremes to illegally obtaining exam questions and answers.  Now, because it is all graded through one computer, it is also graded by one individual operating the computer.  Therefore, if any answers or questions are leaked to the public, NCARB knows who is responsible.  A tremendous amount of responsibility for one individual!  However, knowing some of the limitations of NCARB, I agree this is an appropriate measure for the time being.

Second of all, each ARE (aside from Schematic Design which does not have multiple choice questions) contains "pretest" questions.  These "pretest" questions "will not affect a candidate's actual test score and are not included in the content distribution breakdown.  These pretest questions will be evaluated and may be included in future editions of the test."  I have extracted those explanations directly from NCARB's publication.  I am a little perturbed by this.  I have had occasion to find fault with some of the questions on the exams I have taken so far.  It is logical to suppose that some of these less refined questions I have encountered may in fact be "pretest" questions, but they also may just be faulty questions.  I'm not sure of the point I am trying to make other than it is most distressful to find controversial questions when you are in the throes of a $210 professional examination, the unsuccessful completion of which may delay your professional development by a period of at least 6 months.

Anyway, I just wanted to report those discoveries to you under the guise that knowledge is power (although, as for the pretest questions, I think that knowledge is frustration!).

In summary: 1.) every single ARE is processed through one single computer, as operated by one single individual human. 2.) each ARE may contain "pretest" questions which do not count toward the final assessment of your performance on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment