Tuesday, December 20, 2011

ARE: Schematic Design

So I realize this post is a bit delayed.  I figured I would just make a post about each exam after I took (and passed!) it, to give my advice on a study strategy.

For Schematic Design, I believe the procedure is quite simple.  Start with the NCARB sample vignettes.  This will get you familiar with the software, and will help you figure out how much time you will have to play around with layouts.  You do not have a lot of time for the interior layout, so it is best to get very familiar with those tools.  When I did the Kaplan & Ballast mock exams, I was thinking about how I would do my hand-sketching using the NCARB software.

You probably only need to do a handful of practice interior and building layouts.  I did everyone I could get my hands on - I think there were like 20 total.  Definitely overkill.  I did SD first, though, so I wanted to be sure I had well-prepared myself.

I think 2 weekends in preparation for the exam is satisfactory.  Maybe do 10 practice scenarios: 2 or 3 building layouts and 6 or 7 interior layouts.  You should try to develop a shorthand for the different program requirements, that way you don't have to constantly flip back and forth between the drawing screen and the program screen.  I used abbreviations for the different rooms (which NCARB gives you anyway), orientations/proximities, accesses, views, etc.  For anything that is a program requirement you should have a shorthand symbol deduced.

And finally, NCARB practice exams are, again, your most useful resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment