Sunday, January 9, 2011

NCARB MiniMonographs

I am sure I have already posted about these in the past, but to reiterate, if you are an NCARB record-holder, you should really take advantage of the free mini-monographs made available to you. I just read the last one that I had downloaded and took its corresponding quiz. I am not sure how often these mini's come out, but hopefully they have another one coming out soon.

The one I just read was Accommodations for Seniors, which was relatively informative. I used to work in a senior community, so this kind of design has always been interesting to me (I saved this mini for last for this reason). The most resonating points for me were the fact that the senior population is growing tremendously, so this market is going to really start to take off in the next couple of decades. Particularly since, not only are the senior populations growing in size, but growing in strength, as folks who are older today are also more active (in some cases). So basically accommodations for seniors are going to have to provide more programmatic elements than just spaces for eating, sleeping and congregating.

It's a market I definitely have in the back of my mind for now.



I should say that to get IDP credit for NCARB monographs, you have to be an AIA member. Once you take the online quiz for the monograph, NCARB will send your score to the AIA, who will then put the credits on your AIA transcript. Then you can download your AIA transcript, upload it to NCARB and get the credits in supplemental education. It's a lot of roundabout work for something that probably doesn't really enhance your IDP. I just realized that all my prior mini monographs I read were completed before I joined the AIA, so on Monday I'll see if I can just send the AIA my certificates of completion (I can only find 2 on my hard drive - blast!) and let them go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment