Monday, June 21, 2010

A Place of My Own, by Michael Pollan

First, allow me to acknowledge my absence of late. The weather has been too gorgeous for me to mull about in blog entries. However, I would like to plug some nuggets your way in the future, especially with the coming of our first annual architectural road trip!

Today's nugget is a book recommendation. As you may recall, last summer I designed and constructed a small studio space for myself in my parents' backyard. It is made of modest materials, save the corrugated transparent roof to the North. It not only provides me glorious atmospheric conditions for painting, but also some privacy and resolve from the day to day. The reason I am reminiscing about my structure is because this book is about someone who did something very similar to what I did, and for similar reasons. While I have only yet read part of the preface, I did scan it briefly and I expect that it will be an excellent read. I would also like to note that a gentleman at work recommended it to me after I shared with him some memorable photos of the "shanty" during the snowstorm in February.

I just received my "used" copy from Amazon today and I am quite excited to begin reading it. Looks like I paid $7.40 for it (including shipping), which is not half bad for an essentially brand new book.

Take a peek at its reviews online and let me know what you think! I'll keep you updated if I can make it through this summer... I've been spending a lot of time volleyballing, though, so we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment