Saturday, October 27, 2007

J'adore Paris

So tonight will mark my third night in Paris and I am loving every minuet of it, but got to get this out: Paris is spoiled with their art. In the way that Rome is spoiled with great architecture, Paris is spoiled with great art. It's everywhere and it makes me so envious, I just hope they can appreciate it. Yesterday I went to the Louvre and spent the entire day there. When the people at the hostel asked me what else I did; I tried to explain that to "see" the Louvre it takes an entire day. It's like reading "the Aeneid" or "the Odyssey", it's epic, emotional, gorey, poetic, it takes forever, parts of it you're like "come on! Get to the point!" and you love all of it. There is no way to deny it's greatness. Also, Japenese tourists are hillarious, they're so into everything and the excitement is contagious . I also have never loved Delacroix more, he's one of the names that everyone talks about and for a long time I was like "meh" but the 18th century hallway changed my mindset completely,  I liked everything he did, which is something to be wary about usually, but I couldnt help myself.

"Delacroix said of Rembrandt that his work would be in higher regard than that of Raphael, his blashemous prophecy came true within fifty years" -Phantom Limb

P.S.   I.M. Pei, if you're reading this, I don't believe for a second that you wanted people to see through the pyramid as you elegedly claimed for your addition. You can't see through it. You, sir, lied to me, the louvre and the french people but I'm going to let you go just this once because it's awesome.

Today I went to the Musue D'Orsay and as the Louvre is to "The Odyessey" the D'Orsay is to a Shakespearean sonnet. It's much smaller but everything they have there is excellent. It's all impressionist oriented and they have everything from Manet to Rodin. You have to go. That's it. The colors of a Cezanne, the moodiness of a Degas, the surreal quality of a Van Gogh, the moment of a Monet, and they're all right next to each other. The even have all the prelim sketches which makes me want to just pass-out.

I also hit up the standard Paris sites:

The Notre Dame   = SO amazing, it 's good to have some Gothic for a change
The Arc di Triumph = oh Napoleon; you're fun
The Sacred Couer di Montmatre = A pleasant surprise, I didnt think it would be  as good as it was
The Eiffel Tower = It's the Eiffel Tower guys.

tomorrow I go to Versailles, woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment