Monday, January 14, 2013

E-Verify

I just learned about this new statute signed into PA law that requires all public works contractors (and subs) involved in projects over $25,000 to use E-Verify.  From what I understand, E-Verify is this online system that basically confirms your work eligibility in the U.S.  The intention is to ensure all American jobs go to American (or legally-employable non-American) workers, for public construction projects, for all the typical reason you could imagine.  It is also my understanding that not all states have adopted this statute.  For PA, this statute takes effect for contracts signed on and after January 1, 2013.

While I do not foresee much impact on my day-to-day with this particular new statute, I can see where other firms with larger and public sector projects might find some initial delays.  I don't know if you need to do E-Verify every time you start a new contract, every year, or what the case may be.  My first reaction is that it is probably something that could be seamlessly incorporated into the hiring process.  Particularly considering some of the other more involved requirements for public sector projects, e.g. all on-site individuals involved in the construction of a public school must have their fingerprints taken and on record.

I need to look into more issues like these, but I just heard about this and thought I would share quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment