Saturday, September 8, 2012

Scoring on the ARE's

I know you are all but fed up with my posts about and theorizing on the ARE's, but I believe the following to be true: You must get roughly 70-75% of the multiple choice questions correct in each content area in order to pass.  Why do we care?  Well, on an exam with only 65 questions, like Site Planning & Design, and a possibility of 3 to 8 questions in a given content area, that means you could score a 63/65 (97%) and still fail.  Why?  Because you only got 1 out of 3 correct in the lesser of the 5 content areas.  I believe that is what happened to me on PPP, and I am afraid that is what has just happened to me on SPD.  I know I didn't get a 97% on PPP, I simply blew off studying the one content area, figuring I'd compensate on the others.  Turns out they have you pegged for that!

Luckily, I believe my vignettes for SPD this time were beautiful.  I finished early, but so as not to repeat last time's premature sign-off, I triple-checked everything and even made it crisper!  I ended up only having 5 trees removed (the max was 6), but decided I needed to get more noon-time sun onto my terrace, so I relocated a sidewalk to delete the tree that was there.  Never thought I'd intentionally delete a tree for something like that, but I suspect my neglect of the sunlight requirement was what in part tripped me up the last time.  I just hope my indecisive studying this time didn't screw me up on the MC section.  I did 90 - 100% on the 3 practice quizzes I did, so I figured what more could I study and just practiced on the vignettes.  I wish I had reviewed codes more, but I kinda forgot about them - mostly forgot how specific the questions would be and how much memorizing was necessary in preparation!

Crossing my fingers majorly and hoping for the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment