Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Joining the Mile High (city) Club with Johenwarter.

What draws us to the beauty and majesty of the American west: Is it the search for meaning outside of a tiresome eastern machine? Is it the desire for change in scene and situation? Or is it to escape massive, massive gambling debts from a guy named “Lips”, but enough about my troubles. Let’s talk travel.

Going over a few of the stops:

Byers-Evans House (1310 Bannock St)

Molly Brown House (1340 Pennsylvania Street)

Colorado State Capitol (136 State Capitol, Denver)

Denver Convention Center (700 14th Street)

Denver Public Library (10 West 14th Avenue Parkway)

Denver Art Museum (100 W. 14th Ave)

I think my favorite architectural spot was the Byers-Evans House, which was a frozen in time moment of the Victorian age. However the Art Museum had maybe one of the most fascinating collections I’ve ever seen. Charming, charismatic and deceptively intelligent – it was pretty wonderful. Best parts being (at least in my opinion):

http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slides/ta00/9bb/33a/denver-art-museum-n1-brighton.jpg

http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slides/ta00/a0a/a7a/13denver-art-museum-denver.jpg

http://www.denverartmuseum.org/collections/objectDetails/objectId--180641

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-hP0F05k3E

Now, the last time I had been to Colorado it was because I had an objective. but I think the best way to "see" Denver is to give up expectations and let it decide what it wants to be. With a landscape like Switzerland and flat grade level, this is the kind of city that can expand into the unexpected.

1 comment:

  1. Lol I love the title.

    I would have to say my favorite was the Byers-Evans house as well. I think because there was no one else on the tour with us and we were actually allowed to walk everywhere in the house and even touch stuff!

    The Liebeskind addition to the Art Museum actually gave me the woozies. Thus, I have to say I did not enjoy that experience as much. Although, as per usual, the exhibition/art did not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete