Thursday, March 24, 2011

ARE Facts & Figures

I recently decided that I will push myself to start the AREs this summer. I am hoping that by "summer" I mean "early June" and not "late August." While making this decision I discovered some insightful information on the NCARB website. They apparently make public the pass rates of all individuals who take each exam, and group them based on their university. Find this information here.

To give you some highlights, here are Philadelphia University's 2008 ARE 4.0 pass rates:

Programming, Planning & PracticeSite Planning & DesignBuilding Design and Construction SystemsSchematic DesignStructural SystemsBuilding SystemsConstruction Documents & Services
#Pass Rate#Pass Rate#Pass Rate#Pass Rate#Pass Rate#Pass Rate#Pass Rate
757.00560.00450.00450.0010.002100.00967.00

The part that amazes me is how few people even took the exams in 2008, much less how many actually passed. In theory, the class of 2005 - 2006 would be taking them in 2008, given optimal experience opportunity. I am curious what the 2010 rates will be (should they ever make it to the NCARB website). And I'm even MORE curious about the 2011 rates (of which I may be a part).

In addition to this pass rate database on NCARB's website, I found some potentially useful study guides for each section of the exam. I only skimmed through the first download, but it appears to be primarily practice questions (and answers), which is helpful. Find these study guides here.

As Associate Member Representative of the AIA Eastern PA chapter, I have recently taken on the responsibility of managing/storing our copy of the ARE study guides. In other words, if you need to study for the AREs, hit me up!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm from PhilaU too and will be starting my ARE exams this summer. I like your research, however, I think if you look at the previous years (and other schools) of students taking the ARE exam, say before they changed the exams, you'll find higher pass rates. I believe the switch to the new exam has taken a long adjustment period and people still haven't figured out how to study for it. PhilaU has always been weak on the structural exam which doesn't surprise me. Lucky for me, my firm recently had someone pass structures who will help me study for it. Good luck on your exams!

    ReplyDelete