Monday, November 29, 2010

LEED vs. The Living Building Challenge

I just read (and earned 1 CEU) Architectural Record's "Live | Build | Sustain" article which discusses an alternative sustainable scoring system. I'd recommend you check it out for yourself.

Basically, to summarize, the Challenge is similar to LEED in that it is a system for certifying a building for sustainability. That is about the only similarity. Whereas LEED awards points for using certain green technology, the Challenge requires certain levels of sustainability. It's an ends vs. a means approach, which I think is pretty cool. The point of the system is to have an awesome earth-friendly building. LEED may be intended similarly, but you can have a LEED certified building that draws from the grid, or uses materials with VOCs, etc. The Challenge is more intense tree-hugging, essentially.

Anyway, check it out. I thought I would share this with you since I know our experiences in sustainability tend to be LEED-biased. It's always good to see what's out there. Plus, I was trying to think of other sustainable/green point systems outside of LEED the other day... and I could not think of one. Therefore, I am pleased to have stumbled upon this little ar-tickle!

http://continuingeducation.construction.com/article.php?L=5&C=705

No comments:

Post a Comment