Wednesday, September 15, 2010

AutoCAD for Mac

Recently I have been thinking about "moonlighting" to scrounge up some extra income and to do some actual design work (rather than monkeying around with someone else's design). Anyway, the problem I am facing is that all of my trial/student-licensed software has expired or ran out. Therefore, even if I can get the work (I have 1-2 prospects right now), do I really have any way of doing it? I was contemplating working by hand, which I obviously will do anyway in the sketching phase, but in this tech-savy world, especially when everyone wants to see tons of options/variations, there are obvious benefits to some computer aided drafting.

Forgive the rambling, let me get to the point. I was thinking about getting ArchiCAD, since I'm semi familiar with it and it crosses multiple platforms (I use a Mac and most folks around here are PC). I used the student version in 2009 and it's ok, but I would probably need to get super savvy in it, or also get some Adobe software like Illustrator or PhotoShop so I could spice up certain drawings like if I want to show materials in floor plan or light studies in section. But the program with which I am most familiar is AutoCAD, which has always been a strictly PC program. Until now (or very soon).

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=15421056

I'm hoping that soon truly means soon, like maybe a month. But who knows. I signed up to be notified when the trial version is available. I await with a bated breath!

P.S. The video doesn't really show much about the program, but it still gets me fired up!

2 comments:

  1. Get Ares. 1/4 the cost and it isn't from Autodesk, WIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Innnnterestings - Do you know if Ares can copy into Adobe Illustrator as a vector drawing, or do you have to print to PDF?

    ReplyDelete