Sunday, July 5, 2009

Scotland Trip Day 1

Part 1: DC to Paris

Some claim that trading in American Express miles would therefore mean that the tickets you received are free, this is a slightly incorrect claim, they are not free, you pay in suffering.

I know that sounds overdramatic, but take the journey with me here, on the epic flight from DC to Paris.

Step one: the seat was incredibly cramped and we were right near the bathroom so every about 5 min or so came the unmistakable stench of human refuse and lemon pine-sol. Step two: As it happened the man in front of me had the legs of a giant so therefore pushed his seat all the way to the back and his scalp and I had a brief but meaningful relationship, as in there was dandruff in my drink. Step three: Across the aisle were the two loudest German teenagers in his history of German teenagers (and that INCLUDES Martin Luther), so every time you get closer to drifting to sleep comes another comment about the armrest not being shared properly. However! On the plus side, wine is free on Air France so I decided to drink like a champ. This was a mistake when we finally got to Charles De Galle and I met with my ancient enemy, the wine hangover. the wineover.

Part 2: Paris to Aberdeen

One thing I’ve always loved about Charles de Galle, are the rabbits. Architecturally its alright but those bunnies are the whole reason to go. They live under the runway and run in the green patches inbetween the airplanes. Don’t believe me? PROOF!

http://www.jaunted.com/files/admin/runwaybunny.png/

Though I’m not sure the bunnies aren’t completely deaf, what with sensitive ears and massive airplanes landing above their houses all the time. Well, maybe they don’t move because it’s the only place in Paris that’s rent-controlled.

The flight to Aberdeen was considerably easier as I slept through the entirety of it. When we arrived in Aberdeen we picked up the rent-a-car and drove to the town of Buckie on the North Sea. We’re staying at my aunt and uncle's and while I was told repeatedly that the weather was going to be terrible, the sun shone relentlessly..until 11:30 at night.

Part 3: Welcome to Buckie

Buckie is a tiny fishing town on the North sea of Scotland and its beautiful, we’re staying at a house that is directly next to the water, its almost enough to want to sing a sea chantey. IN FACT I think I will.

When I wasa little boy so my mother told me, to me
Way haul away, we'll haul away Joe

That if I did not kiss the girls, my lips would all grow mouldy, to me
Way haul away, we'll haul away Joe

Way haul away, the good ship now is rolling, to me
Way haul away, we'll haul away Joe

Ahhh….the sea.

As for the town of itself BEHOLD! Bustling downtown Buckie:

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/images/p4436.jpg

It’s really a charming place though, I’ll be sure to explore it more when I have the energy to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment